Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Z is for Moose

Z is for Moose

By Kelly Bingham and Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky

Z is for Moose is an easy read about the alphabet- mostly. The Zebra is the "director" of the pages and tells us which letter is for which word, such as "L is for Lollipop." As he gets closer to the M, Moose is very excited, however, it turns out, that Zebra uses Mouse instead of Moose. Moose then goes on a rampage and destroys as many letters as he can. Zebra tries, and ultimately succeeds in saving the letters, however, he soon realizes that Moose is very upset that he was not chosen. Zebra finds a place to put Moose and their friendship is restored. 

This book illustrates how someone reacts to being left out in a way that children can understand and/or relate to. It demonstrates the problem, the effect, as well as the solution. It is a simple book to show children the moral lesson of how important it is to not intentionally leave people out. 

6 comments:

  1. Jolynn, this is a great first blog post. I like how you have incorporated some of the discussions and readings we've had. Additionally, I love alphabet books and this is one of the best ones! They are so fun to use in classrooms across the grades and content areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel this would be a great learning tool for children. It seems the book not only taps into learning about the alphabet but also friendship. Children can always use more knowledge about friendship and being fair to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that this book goes over more than just one topic. it's an alphabet book that teaches a moral lesson, and that's hard to find. It definitely a good way for kids to recognize that that it hurts to not be chosen. I could definitely see myself using this book in the classroom with kindergartners. Thanks for sharing this book with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you interpreted the story to be more about a child's emotion towards being left out rather than the given idea of being an alphabet book. You described the book in great detail and made it seem very interesting. It is interesting that the authors production of the story pinpoints two learning methods through one story line, which creates a more relate-able theme for children emotionally as well as incorporating the importance of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your first blog post. I thought you did a great job summarizing the book and making it sound fun and enjoyable. I can totally seeing myself using this book in my classroom, hoping to teach kindergarten! What a wonderful book to for young children to learn the alphabet and also the importance of being fair to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a book that I would love to read to my future students. I really want to teach Kindergarten and this would be a great way to learn the importance of inclusion and does so in a way that also teaches them the alphabet as well. Great review on the book I really want to read this now and I would love to have this book readily available in my classroom someday.

    ReplyDelete